Get ready to Bring It!
If you’ve ever wanted to do P90X, tried and quit at week 3 or 7 or whatever, or even if this will be your “X”th round (like me), there is absolutely NO BETTER WAY than doing it with a group of like minded people with the same goals. I’m really excited about all the change we’re going to be seeing in people’s lives over the next few weeks.
For those that joined early on, the group is really coming together and already getting to know each other in our private Facebook Group. Folks are are asking questions and already providing support to each other. It’s a wonderful thing to watch.
In my opinion, unless you’re totally self-motivated, there really is no other way to do a program like P90X for the first time. Support is crucial, and I wish I’d had some during my first round! It’s so much easier to make it through the tough days when you know 250 of your friends are going through the same thing and there is no way you’re going to let them down.
So with that being said I thought I would share some tips to help folks maximize their results:
- Nutrition is everything! Eat whole clean foods. Drink Shakeology as a meal replacement every day. Also, make sure you are getting lots of veggies and supplementing with a multi-vitamin
- Time your carbs. Eat complex carbs such as an apple, coconut water, etc. approx 1 hour before working out. Post workout, drink a recovery drink like P90X Results & Recovery Formula, Vega Sport, or eat a meal with a 4/1 carb to protein ratio. (I drink Shakeology as my post-workout drink on most days.)
- Use www.myfitnesspal.com, tapandtrack (for iPhone/iPad), or something similar to track everything you eat. Trust me if you are not tracking you are eating more than you think you are and/or the wrong things.
- Eliminate Dairy
- No white bread, white noodles, or white rice.
- Avoid chips, juice, and alcohol…basically empty calories that will derail your progress.
- ABSOLUTELY NO SODA OR DIET SODA!
- ABSOLUTELY NO CHEATING FOR 90 DAYS! Every “cheat” meal sets your progress back 2-3 days, so do the math. If you want to see results, DON’T CHEAT.
- Print P90X spreadsheets and write your reps and weights down. This is VERY important. Every week strive to do more reps (or more weight) than you did the prior week. If you see last week you did 15 pushups do everything in your power to hit 16 the next time
- Do Ab Ripper before your workout or on cardio days. If you wait to do Ab Ripper until after your resistance workout you may be spent and more times than not you will skip it. And lets face it most of us need this workout the most. Which leads me to my next tip
- The workouts you hate the most are the ones you need the most! Learn to love the workouts you hate because these are the ones where you need improvement. Embrace the challenge and conquer these.
- Always always always FOCUS ON YOUR FORM! Pick a weight you can do with proper form. If you’re doing curls and your arching your back to throw the weight up you’re done. Move your ego aside and grab a lighter weight. I promise you will see better results.
- When your start to feel the burn don’t stop! Your brain will tell you to stop but that is the exact point you tell it NO and knock out 3 more reps. As Shawn T says “the work doesn’t start until you’re tired”
- Don’t skip your rest days! We are breaking our muscles down in our workouts and rebuilding them during rest so make sure you rest. That rest day is in the program for a reason. You can still be active, but take it easy.
- Stay plugged in! Share you triumphs and your failures. Let people know when your proud of your accomplishments and don’t be afraid to let people know when you’re struggling. Chances are 1/2 the group is going through the same thing and you may just be helping 20 people by posting about your struggles.
- Lastly and you knew it was coming….“Do your best and forget the rest” Everyone is different so don’t worry if someone is knocking out 30 pushups and you’re only at 15 on your knees. This is YOUR journey so focus on YOU. Just be better than you were yesterday
I hope this helps everyone bring it for the next 90 days. You have a support group of me and everyone in the Challenge, so take full advantage of it. It is such an awesome thing to watch so many people change their lives together. Lets do this!
To your good health,