So you’re asking ‘what is the Nike+ Fuel Band?’ Well, it’s actually pretty awesome. To be more specific, here’s a short clip from Nike that will give you the gist:
The Nike+ FuelBand measures your daily activity and turns it into Nike Fuel. It also tracks each step and calorie burned through activity. As they say, if THAT doesn’t impress you, it’s also a really cool watch.
How It Works
Nike+ FuelBand tracks your activity through a sport-tested accelerometer. Then translates every move into NikeFuel. Nike+ FuelBand tracks running, walking, dancing, basketball – and dozens of everyday actions. It also syncs up with a motivational web and mobile experience. So put it on and get moving.
It starts with a goal
and Nike+ FuelBand tracks your progress,
lighting up from red to green throughout the day.
Get to green and you’ve hit your goal.
Turn every day into a game. Challenge yourself to capture records, reach new milestones, and unlock special achievements. Go on a streak by seeing how many days in a row you can hit your daily goal.
Sync your Nike+ FuelBand every day to visualize your results.
See your peaks, your valleys, and your progress.
Get the free Nike+ FuelBand mobile app to sync wirelessly,
track your progress, and get extra motivation on the go.
With the app you can compete with yourself, or share results
with your friends to compare, compete and celebrate.
If you already have a Nike+ FuelBand, get started by downloading the Nike+ Connect software.
This software allows your Nike+ FuelBand and computer to communicate with each other.
It also lets you customize your Nike+ FuelBand settings.
I have to admit that I’m a fan of electronic gizmos that do this and that. I’m what you’d call an “early adopter” LOL. I first spotted one on the wrist of a neighbor checking the time and I thought it was the coolest watch I’d seen in a long time…having NO IDEA what a Nike+ FuelBand actually was. I did a little research with Google and figured it out.
I purchased mine about 10 days ago and I have to say it’s been fun setting goals and tracking my activity (“Nike fuel”) each day.
What it isn’t:
- The Nike+ FuelBand isn’t a replacement for a workout heart rate monitor. If you want an accurate measurement of your heart rate and caloric burn during exercise, stick with a good HRM with a chest strap. I always recommend a heart rate monitor for folks just starting out and/or those tracking their caloric intake for weight loss. HRMs are a great way to make sure you STAY SAFE during exercise and don’t over do it! It’s also a tool for more advanced athletes looking to push themselves beyond plateaus and other goals.
- For everyone. The Nike+ FuelBand retails for $149.00 from Nike’s online store (I haven’t found them for less anyplace else…if you do, PLEASE comment below!). If you’re on a budget and you have to choose between, for example, drinking Shakeology every day or buy a Nike+ FuelBand, get the Shakeology. Nutrition is THE most important component of your future transformation, and there’s nothing healthier you can put in your body in my opinion.
- Long on battery life. Your Nike+ FuelBand will last only two days before it needs to go back on the USB to charge for a few minutes… I charge mine every other night, so it’s not an inconvenience at all.
What it IS:
- A fantastic tool for the person just getting started. As I always say to folks who are new to exercise or haven’t worked out in years, it all starts by getting MOVING. The Nike+ FuelBand will absolutely help you do that! Can’t “push play” every day? See if you can earn as many points walking or taking the stairs or going for a bike ride as you do on the days you’re actually working out with a trainer or in front of your TV.
- Accountability. You wear this thing on your wrist every day all day long. It reminds you of your goal and how close (or far away) you are to achieving it for the day. 6:00PM and you’re short by 500 points? Better go for a walk! You get the point.
- Fun! Nike has done a great job with the online experience and the iPad/iPhone app.
I really like the Nike+ FuelBand and I’m going to start recommending it to anyone I start coaching who’s trying to lose more than 8-10 pounds and has been relatively inactive up to the point we come in to contact. The Nike+ FuelBand is an easy, fun, engaging way to track your activity and be accountable. Go get one now at nike.com.
To your good health,
Coach Britt Weber