What are my 5 keys to success?
(1) Faith. Life was very tough for me a few years ago. I was unhappy with my job, struggling with my relationships, and no where near where I needed to be with my health and fitness. I came to a point where I realized that I was simply following the wrong path. Life’s “hamster wheel” had taken over…one day blended into the next, and I wasn’t GOING anyplace. I rarely did what my “gut” was telling me, choosing instead to follow the safe and easier path. I remember praying for help and change. It wasn’t until I actually allowed myself to be guided by my Faith that my life actually began to change. Instead of fighting against things, I try to go with the flow, and do what feels right. Doing P90X and the complete lifestyle change that came with it has enabled me to have a huge impact not only on my own life, but on the lives of others. I feel like I’m finally doing what I’m supposed to be doing, making a difference in the world. I try to remind myself often that, “The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.” (Bruce Lee)
(2) Support. Without the support of my family and friends, I would not have achieved the success I have had in my fitness. My wife was the catalyst to setting me on the right path. She and my children have been here to support me 100% of the way in my journey. I’m where I am today because of them. If you don’t have support from your family and friends, your journey is going to be a much tougher one than it needs to be.
(3) Accountability. Accountability is crucial to your success! If you don’t have someone (…or many someones…) there to make sure you’re on track, your chances of succeeding drop drastically unless you’re a highly self-motivated individual. My coach, Wayne Wyatt, played a huge role in helping me succeed with my fitness transformation because he was always right there to answer my questions, keep me accountable, and just be there to support me. Now that I’m a coach, I’m helping others do the same. (Click here to make me your coach.)
(4) Commitment. Committing yourself to a clean, healthy nutrition and workout program every single day is challenging, but if you want to achieve results and change your life, then you really need to commit yourself 110%. During my first “real” round of P90X, I stuck to the nutrition plan and NEVER skipped a workout. That’s the reason I got the results I did.
(5) Mental Strength. You’re going to discover that getting into great shape is more mental than anything. When you don’t feel like working out, you have to push yourself to work out. When you feel like having a cheat meal, you have to stay strong and resist temptations. When you feel like you can only do 1 one more rep, do 3-4 more. It takes unbelievable mental strength to be able to accomplish your fitness goals, but eventually it WILL become habit. I promise. You just have to stick with it.